Indiagossip has new topic Related to group discussion. Again It is under the category of the Indian politics. Indian National Congress (INC) is a topic.
Origin And Brief History of Indian National Congress (INC)
- Founded in 1885 by members of the occultist movement Theosophical Society. Allan Octavian Hume, Dadabhai Naoroji, Dinshaw Wacha, Wyomesh Chandra Bannerjee, Surendranath Banerjee, Manmohan Ghose, Mahadev Govind Rahade and William Wedderburn.
- As the primary participant in the Indian Independence Movement, Over 15 million members and the over 70 million participants from the Indian National Congress (INC) to parts in its struggle against British colonial rule in India. So it became powerful in India.
- Has been India’s dominant political party, led by the Nehru-Gandhi family for the most part. major challenges for the party leadership hand started post-Nehru but been more prominent recently.
- Has ruled the country for 55 of the 67 years.
- Moreover, A majority of the existing political parties in India have formed out of breaks or splits from the NIC.
- So The current Indian National Congress (INC) largely consists of the INC(Indira) party which was formed in 1969.
- Pan-India outlook and self-proclaimed “Secular” bias.
- Historically, Indian National Congress (INC) has supported and advocated in favour of farmers, labourers, worker’s unions, and religious and ethnic minorities.
- Also in favour of the regulation and control of business and finance, taking cues from the socialist movements in the then USSR at the time of independence.
- Have been instrumental n rolling out of the objectives laid at the time of independence. So It laid emphasis on technology, Education, and development for overall long-term development of India. Similarly, IITs, IISc, IIMs, ISRO, DRDO, BARC are outstanding examples of the same.
- Moreover, Major planks include reduction of poverty and illiteracy and strong support to the weaker section of the society.
- Have been instrumental in rolling out the large-scale reforms like RTI, RTE, Food Security Bill, Land Acquisition bill, NREGA, Insurance Bill, FDI, Decontrol of fuel prices and dismantling of fuel subsidies.
Key Persons of Indian National Congress (INC)
- President, Chairperson and Parliamentary Chairperson – Sonia Gandhi
- Vice-President – Rahul Gandhi
- Political Secretary – Ahmed Patel
- Leader in the Lok Sabha – Mallikarjun Kharge
- Leader in the Rajyasabha – Ghulam Nabi Azad
- Prominent Spokespersons – Manish Tiwari, RPN Singh, Deepa Dashmunshi, Jayanti Natrajan, Sanjha Jha, Rajiv Shukla, etc.
Main Ideological Trust
- Social policy officially based upon the Gandhian principle of Sarvodaya. supports Employment Generation Schemes, Reservation, etc.
- Economic policy was earlier centered around the public sector and aimed at establishing a socialistic pattern of society. After that finance minister Manmohan Singh’s Economic reforms in 1991. So they have now adopted free-market policies with a cautious approach to liberalization.
- After that, the Foreign policy has been largely centered around the Nehruvian principle of Non-Alignment.
Major Electrol Achievements (States and Centre)
- Held power at the center for 30 continuous years from 1947-1977.
- On the back of sympathy wave following Indira Gandhi’s assassination. After that Rajiv Gandhi swept to power with a record seats in a seat Lok Sabha in 1984.
- Out of the 14, Prime Ministers of India 6 have been from NIC.
Jawaharlal Nehru(From 1947 to 1964),
Gulzarilal Nanda(From 1964 to 1966),
Lal Bahadur Shastri(From 1964 to 1966),
Indira Gandhi(From 1966 to 1984),
Rajiv Gandhi(From 1984 to 1989),
P.V. Narasimha Rao(From 1991 to 1996),
Manmohan Singh(From 2004 to 2014).
- generally from 1947 to date, and particularly in between 1947-1984, The NIC has been power at State Govt. level in a majority of Indian States, except West Bengal and Kerala, Where the Communists held sway.
- As of December 2014, the NIC holds power in 10 states( So the independent majority in 6 state governments and dominant partner in an alliance in 4 more).
Current State Governments(As of November 2014)
- Arunachal Pradesh(Nadam Tuki), Assam(Tarun Gogoi), Himachal Pradesh(Virbhadra Singh), Kerela(Oommen Chandy), Manipur(Okram Iboni Singh), Meghalaya(Mukul Sangma), Mizoram(Pu lalthanhawla), Uttarakhand(Harish Rawat), Karnataka(Siddaramaiah).
Trivia of Indian National Congress (INC)
- The Indian Emergency of June-25 1975 to March-21 1977 was a 21-month period. PM Indira Gandhi of the NIC, declared a state of emergency under Article 352 of the Constitution of India, effectively bestowing on her the power to rule by decree, suspending elections and civil liberties. So It is one of the most controversial periods in the history of independent India. It called the darkest hour of Indian democracy, citizens claim this was the most efficient bureaucratic regime.
- Name Of Official INC Social Media Platform – Khidki
- Official Indian National Congress (INC) Newspaper – Congress Sandesh
- Symbol – Palm/Hand, HQ-24, Akbar Road, New Delhi.